Eight Questions You Should Ask Your Texas Auto Insurance Agent!
Below I have provided eight questions everyone should ask a Texas auto insurance before placing their insurance within their agency. This should help you find the right agent for your auto insurance Texas policy.
Question #1: Is your agent a direct writer or a Texas independent insurance agent?
Direct Writers are limited to the companies they write through.
Houston auto insurance
agents who are employees of a direct insurance company are only allowed to sale through that particular company.
Independent Texas insurance agents can shop multiple companies to find the best rate.
- An independent insurance agent is able to sell through multiple carriers. This allows them to shop your insurance through many companies to find the best policy.
- An Independent Agency does not work for a specific insurance company. They work for you!
Question #2: What you should ask your agent about their Texas auto insurance experience?
- How long has your agent been selling auto insurance in Houston, Texas?
- How long has your agent been writing with this insurance company?
- What is your agent's relationship with this company?
- How efficient is their claims department?
Question #3: What you should ask your agent about the claims process.
- What happens if you need to file a claim?
- Will the agent handle it or just give you an 800 number?
- What will the agent do if you are being avoided by the claims department?
- What will your agent do if the company is not performing well?
Question #4: You should ask your agent about the auto company's status and reputation.
What is your current Houston insurance carriers rating?
- If the company has an AM Best score between a B - A+ this is a solid company.
- If they have a lower rating than B or no rating at all you need to find out why. Is this a standard company with the State Of Texas or a county mutual insurance company? Ask for the companies rating and if the company is not rated then why? Also ask: How big is your book of business with this insurance carrier?
Question #5: You should ask your agent if any of your current clients have had trouble with this insurance company.
There is not a perfect Texas auto insurance company but there are some far more superior than others. These questions can help you get an idea of the company's customer service.
- Have there been claims that took too long to pay?
- Does the company have a 24-hour live claims service?
- Is this insurance carrier a standard company?
Question #6: Does the company offer a full year policy or just a six month policy?
By purchasing a full year policy you will not have to worry about a premium increase after only six months. This can save some real money if you get in an accident in the middle of your policy period.
Question #7: You should ask your agent about different payment methods and discounts for setting up automatic draft.
- You can pay by check, cash, MasterCard, Visa, Amex, electronic check, or automatic deduction through your checking account or credit card.
- Will the company give a discount if you bank draft? Some companies will give you a discount for allowing them to draft the monthly premium on the date the insured chooses
Question #8: What additional discounts are available?
- Texas Auto and Home insurance discount.
- includes condos, apartments, rental homes etc.
Ask your agent about all the available discounts.
- Is there a good driver's discount?
- Is there a good student discount?
- Is there a multiple car discount?
- Is there discounts for special alarms?
- Is there a driver training discount?
- Is there a student away at school without the vehicle discount?
Articles and Special Reports!